Monday, February 25, 2008

Do you believe?


I'm in the middle of a Beth Moore Bible study about Believing God. Not believing in Him. Believing Him. I'm struggling with the concept and am certain that is why I was led to take this class in the first place.

While I pray to God regularly and ask for guidance, deliverance, direction and blessings I always add a disclaimer inside my head. Because prayers are not always answered the way we want them to be. And it can be due to a multitude of reasons: God has a better plan. We mess things up, because we do indeed have free will.

God can be all prepared to bless me abundantly, but my I may ignore his signs, or may get impatient and because I am all sinful by nature, turn my back on His plan. On His answers.

I am trying to stop preparing myself for disappointment when I pray. That's not what God wants. He wants me to BELIEVE Him. I need to stop doubting that He wants greatness for me. That he wants me to be fulfilled and happy and loved and loving.

Mark 9:24 "Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

Romans 4:23-25 "Abraham didn't focus on his own impotence and say, "It's hopeless. This hundred-year-old body could never father a child." Nor did he survey Sarah's decades of infertility and give up.

He didn't tiptoe around God's promise asking cautiously skeptical questions. He plunged into the promise and came up strong, ready for God, sure that God would make good on what he had said. That's why it is said, "Abraham was declared fit before God by trusting God to set him right."

But it's not just Abraham; it's also us! The same thing gets said about us when we embrace and believe the One who brought Jesus to life when the conditions were equally hopeless. The sacrificed Jesus made us fit for God, set us right with God."

I would love to hear your thoughts. Please click on the "Amen" below and leave your comments. Thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have done this study several years ago. Yeah, we "think" we believe God. But do we live that way. I think I need to do this study again

Amy said...

I love Beth Moores' studies. I haven't done this one yet. It would be very good for me.

I have a hard time believing God. I think it is an unconscious reaction to my feelings of inadequacy. I believe God's promises, I just don't think they relate to me, until he fulfills his promises in my life and then I believe wholeheartedly.